POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Early morning w/ tree : Re: Early morning w/ tree Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:12:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Early morning w/ tree
From: Kenneth
Date: 10 Dec 2008 16:55:00
Message: <web.49403952c8b65ac578dcad930@news.povray.org>
William Tracy <wtr### [at] calpolyedu> wrote:

> No extinction (too fiddly for me, honestly) and no intervals--I need to
> re-red the docs on what intervals does.

I kind of gave up on trying to understand what intervals does. :-|
Be aware that the docs (those that come with the program, anyway) have wrong
default media values. The correct defaults are:

method 3
intervals 1
samples 10

It seems that a fair number of users try fiddling with the intervals value; but
IMO, it's just easier (and more understandable) to leave intervals at 1 and
crank up the samples until things looks good. I think that's a recommendation
in the docs anyway (when using method 3.) Others have noted that it's faster,
too, although I haven't experimented to find out.

KW